[OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images

Subject: [OM] Re: CD longevity and E-1 images
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:54:38 -0700
> I just checked my oldest E-1 CDs and they are legible.

  I was curious, so I hunted out some old backup CDs I had sitting
around. The date on them is 5/5/98, and I'm sure that's accurate given
what's on there -- they still read just fine. Brand is, well, I have no
idea, they're completely undistinguished no-name CDs, as far as I can tell.

  Now, I wouldn't want to assure anyone else that _their_ CDs will be
okay -- and these have, in general, not been abused too much, I stored
them in individual plastic comic bags back then (because that's what I
had around), and they haven't been sitting on a brightly sunlit
windowsill or anything. CDs actually stored in jewel cases will probably
be that much better off.

  That said, while it seems prudent for me to go through all my old
backup CDs and move them onto some newer media, the main thing that I've
lost with these old CDs is (unsurprisingly) the software to interpret
some of the files, and in some cases, the hardware to make use of the
software that's be needed to use some of the files -- and the media
doesn't have much to do with that..

  -- dan