[OM] OT Re: Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser

Subject: [OM] OT Re: Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:26:05 -0500
I acknowledge I am the one in error for my own "pedantic word pair"; that
is--NO ONE else agrees with me. For me, the pair is "bring" and "take". To
me, "bring" implies, "towards or with me", while "take" implies "towards
somewhere else, away from me". But EVERYONE else seems OK with, "Bring that
item to that place", or "Take that here, please."

Ah, well. I'll live.

Don't even get me started on the folks around here who put things up "for
sell", and just to be sure you know what a great item it is, they emphasize
the features with quotes, like--For Sell:  Car. "New" Tires, "Great" paint,
runs "Good".

For any non-English-native speaker/writers out there:  the quotes use is
funny because such quotes are correctly used to indicate you're being
sarcastic and really mean that the opposite is true. For some reason, cars
always are said to "run good", though "run well" would be correct.

My favorite headline took a slightly twisted mind, plus a moment of thought,
to find anything funny about. It was 20-some odd years ago in the Knoxville
News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN, USA), regarding a natural gas leak that
briefly caused some folks to leave the area:

  "Thousands Evacuated by Leak"

Well, duh!

Gary Holder, who was once SHOCKED to discover, after-the-fact, that he'd
mixed-up "there" and "their" in an email.