[OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...

Subject: [OM] Re: A new year, a new website ...
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:10:31 -0600
"Local Contrast Enhancement."  Apparently a chance discovery by
someone playing with Unsharp Mask settings in Photoshop.  To get the
effect, in the Unsharp Mask tool select a Radius of 50-200 pixels
(yes, that's right, 50-200) and start with an amount of about 12 or
so.  The effect is subtly to remove a veil in many cases.  The
operative range to play with is from about 12 to 50, although there
are no rules, so go with what pleases you.

I have set up an action in PS to apply a USM setting of 12 amount/50
pixels radius.  That's a close as there is to a "button."  If when you
build the action you click the "toggle on/off" box just to the left of
the action name, the action will open the USM dialogue when play the
action and allow you to adjust the settings.  In general, I use the
lowest possible settings because the contrast enhancement can
contribute to blown highlights if you're not careful.

I don't really understand the "local" in LCE.  I call my action "USM
contrast enhancement."  The way I use it is usually fairly global.
But there are no rules -- I think I already said that!

Joel W.