[OM] Re: Alternative to ICE4 for B&W Negative

Subject: [OM] Re: Alternative to ICE4 for B&W Negative
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:45:30 -0600
That's right, Dr. Flash:  Vivitar 550FDs at twenty paces!

And my point was simply that he could select the image in PS, or any
part of the image, then go to Filters > Noise > Dust and Scratches,
and see whether it helps.

It's possible that dedicated software was more subtle or offered more
ways to tune the effect, but I don't recall that being the case with
the Polaroid product, which was touted as being really competitive
with ICE.  People who tried both didn't seem to think so.

In the end, I have never found any substitute for sheer toil in
working with a scratched negative.  Edwal No Scratch is probably as
close to a silver bullet as I have found.  If the scratch comes up
visibly in the scan, it's tough.  Among a number of such projects, I
spent many many hours on a scanned Daguerrotype of my great-great
grandparents.  It scanned beautifully on a flatbed, but the thing was
in pretty bad shape, particularly around the edges.  You just have to
concentrate on the most important part, like the faces, and see how
far you can stand to go towards perfecting the image en toto. :(

Joel W.