[OM] Re: Weird fogging on 35mm film

Subject: [OM] Re: Weird fogging on 35mm film
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:06:34 -0500
Sorry, I don't buy it.  Why would x-rays preferentially affect only the
outer edge of the sprocket hole area?  It would zap the entire surface
of the film.  Also, why would only half the roll be affected?  I can
understand x-rays only penetrating to a certain depth but, if they were
unable to penetrate the entire thickness of the cartridge, the exposure
pattern would be oscillating since one half of every turn around the
film cannister's reel would be on the back side of the reel from the
perspective of the x-ray source.  And again, the entire width of the
film should be affected.

My guess is a light leak in the original loading of the film cannister
or a leak during part of the unloading/loading on to the developing
reel.  Whatever caused the leak may be transient.

Chuck Norcutt