[OM] Re: True confessions - now registry cleaner

Subject: [OM] Re: True confessions - now registry cleaner
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:45:45 +0000
Phew - every PC's registry is different.
The registry replaced the older INI files of Windows - and as such, now
everything gets dumped in the registry which grows exponentially with time.
I'm able to edit the registry by hand simpy because I used to virtually live
in the registry and so have a fairly good idea of what's supposed to be in
there (on my machine) and what's not.
There are literally thousands of articles of the registry and editing it -
waay too much to reproduce in an email. However, I can get you started.

BUT FIRST THE OBLIGATORY WORD OF WARNING!!!!

EDITING YOUR REGISTRY CAN MAKE YOUR PC DYSFUNCTIONAL!!!!!

So much so, that you may have to reinstall Windows/XP.

So ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MESSING WITH IT!

With the obligatory word of warning duly given - and my dlsclaimer for any
responsibility if you screw up your system, I suggest a good place to start
is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
and here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

These articles show you how to manually export (and very importantly,
restore) the registry and entries therein.
Other useful articles are:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126713
http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm

Having read all the above articles, you should be familiar with how to make
a backup of the registry and be able to restore it.

Ok backup your registry and create a new system restore point (use Help in
XP to show you how).
Having made a suitable backup (and done a system restore point)
Run Regedit.
You do by clicking on Start then Run.
In the dialogue box type regedit.exe and click on OK

You should then see something that looks a bit like Windows Explorer.
In the left panel you will see something like the following:
My Computer
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHNE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

these are the root categories for the entry.
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
You will see various sub-categories.
One should be called SOFTWARE
Expand that.
You should see a huge list of just about every piece of software you've ever
installed and the name of the companies that made it all.
Just look through the list - BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING YET
- by which I mean be very careful that you don't press the Enter key or
delete key or inadvertantly overwrite anything - which is so easily done.
You may see entries for software you deleted years ago and/or which you
simply do not recognise.
The quick temptation is to delete the entries for software you deleted years
ago - but before you do, bear in mind that should you wish to reinstall you
may have to update/upgrade and the registry key(s) pertaining to it could be
important - they may include your original licence info etc.
IF YOU KNOW for certain that you are NEVER EVER gonna use some of said
software again and you'd deleted the software ages ago - then you can, if
you wish, delete the relevant keys - but before doing so, have a look in the
right hand pane at the value of the keys (which may need to be expanded).
There may be references to directories and files and 'controls' e.g. activeX
(or OCX) controls - which may or may not exist. The activeX control(s) may
even be used by software other than the one whose entry you are currently
looking at. This is why so much care has to be taken.
Before deleting any key - copy the entry to the clipboard, click on Edit in
Regedit and click on Find and do searches for any repetition of the key/key
value. If there aren't any (and you will have to search the registry more
than once to be sure) then it's probably safe to delete it (given the backup
you should have made!).
Scanning through the list you may see entries for stuff you might never have
heard of. Although this could be something that shouldn't be there, it may
need to be there - maybe its something installed by a driver for a device
and company with a completely different name. Silly made up example. You
install a modem. During driver installation, it installs some software from
another company that enables you send/receive faxes and that company,
instead of re-inventing the wheel, may distribute some Adobe printer/fax
driver so you end with Adobe software and registry entries on your pc even
if it's never encountered Acrobat reader or Photoshop or other Adobe
products.
At this point you may be thinking so why am I even bothering with all this?
The point is - now at least you are aware (if you weren't before) that such
software exists (or has been on) on your system. So now you can start to
check out if it should be there. If you don't understand why a registry
entry is there - check out forums for info on the key.
Ok there are possibly thousands of keys if you've had Windows/XP on your
system for a long time - but most entries you will expect to be there. You
only have to check out the ones you're not sure about!
Eventually, you will/could get a good idea what should be there and why -
and what shouldn't.
Tip:
Regedit will let you print a copy of the registry - you may need reams of
paper though.
Then you can safely look at the entries on paper - use a highlighter to mark
out entries for further investigation.
Keep a copy and periodically, print the registry out again and compare it
page by page.
Eventually, you will get familiar with what's there - and if you devote
enough time and effort - be eventually able to manually go through the
registry pretty quickly by hand and sort things out.
If you encounter names you don't recognise - Cerebral Software, say, (for a
made up example - apologies if there is such a company/software). You can do
a Google search on that - and you might find that it's supposed to be there
or it may be a piece of spyware.
Read all the articles you can on registry keys - particularly on the
Microsoft bulletin boards - such as the Knowledge Base one where you can do
a keyword search of articles:
E.g.:
In short, all it takes to become an expert on YOUR registry is [A LOT OF]
time and effort on your part.
But at the end of the day, you will become a much better registry cleaner
than some piece of 'freeware'/shareware that really doesn't care about your
PC.
Tip:
Do a restore point before installing new software/hardware - don't trust the
installation programs to do it.
You never know, you may enjoy becoming a bit of a registry geek - and you
may just keep your XP installation reasonably trouble-free for years!
You have probably realised that manual registry house-keeping and
maintenance is not an easy one-off task that can be done in a night or two
then forgotten about.
I think that's enough to get you started off should you want to.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Phil" <pcks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: True confessions - now registry cleaner
>Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:01:45 -0000
>

>Allan
>
>I would like to try this, can you give me some guidelines please. I used to
>play about with config sys etc in the old days
>I guess we need to back up first in case things go wrong, and if so how
>would you reinstall
>
>Help appreciated
>

>Phil

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!