[OM] Re: True confessions - Why I finally set up the external back up dr

Subject: [OM] Re: True confessions - Why I finally set up the external back up drive
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:08:20 +0000
Yeah - that's why I gave up Norton a few years ago. I had to manually edit
the registry and delete files all over the place and so on. (I didn't want
to format the drive). In the older versions of Norton, the easiest and
surest way to get rid was to reformat the drive and install the OS from
scratch.
I'm told that newer versions of Norton are ok - but I'm skeptical. Also the
Norton personal firewall is/was a tad too intrusive for my liking. I like my
firewall to just quietly get on with its job virtually all the time. The one
I currently use does - it only warns in the event of a serious attack - and
takes no chances - it breaks the connection - even if that sometimes means a
temp d/c from the Net (which can be annoying - but the level of protection
it offers is worth it). The only way it annoys with msgs is to tell you if
any components of any software has been changed in real-time and asks what
you want to do concerning said app. This can be annoying with apps that
update themselves, but again the f/w is only doing it's excellent job. Last
'mini' moan - when I turn on my PC, it does take a while before I can
connect to the Internet as the firewall checks its own 'integrity' and
various system checks before allowing *ANY* network access - LAN or Internet
- so I can't browse, despite the router being ready, until the firewall
shows its 'public' face. It also remembers the state of software - and
again, won't allow software that's been modified since last use any network
access until I OK it.
But the biggest grips I have with it is I want to manually open or secure
ports - sometimes I might just want to simply open or close a port - but I
have a barrage of checks - port, protocol, direction, software name etc. to
negotiate before it lets me open/close a port. So much so that I once wrote
a raw sockets layer/manager of my own - but I lost that because I'd
forgotten which partition I'd kept it on and had formatted the partition and
installed stuff on the new partition before I realised my mistake. I could,
with a lot of effort, rewrite the layer/manager - but it's been a few years
now since I last seriously programmed in C (I don't currently have any 'C'
compilers on my machine (apart from QuickC for DOS) - I don't program the PC
much nowadays - I'm always too busy just being a 'user' now lol).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -