[OM] Re: [OT]Look at an M8 by 5D Pro

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Look at an M8 by 5D Pro
From: Nick Wilson <toona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:59:57 +1100
Allan Mee wrote:

>I find it unbelievable that a company with the long experience and expertise
>of Leica can't design and build a new digital rangefinder camera that
>produces colours accurately.

I agree, but if there is a technical issue with the r/f design, why are
they doing it at all if it means such a black spot for the marque.
Desperation? The devaluing of the Leica name meaning it doesn't matter
any more? One thought intrudes: chatter on a Hasselblad list on failures
of the new digital 'blads brought the idea that the manufacturer was
testing in the public domain...cheaper to send the camera out, let the
bugs appear and then offer a firmware update. Brought condemnation given
the breathtaking price of a H-series digital 'blad...

Perhaps Leica's problem isn't easily fixable with firmware updates,
because giving out filters is pretty extreme... I hope they are
concomitantly high quality and the punters get something good out of it.

Nick