[OM] Re: Adding a little science to the group photograph

Subject: [OM] Re: Adding a little science to the group photograph
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:47:12 -0500
I don't have any set number other than I'd never take less than 5 for
any moderately large group, say, 5 or more.  But one can improve the
odds by telling the group to close their eyes and, on the count of three
open them, blink a couple of times and then look at the camera and
smile.  You can't do this on every shot as they'll soon tire of the game
but you can get away with it several times and perhaps get a good one.
If you're going to do more than 5 you also need to give them a break
from the concentration on the camera.  Have them say hello to their
neighbor, do something silly, or whatever for a minute or two and then
get back to shooting again.

I found the statistics interesting but, you're right, a physicist
delving into biological, and especially, psychological systems may not
derive a good answer.  And finally, none of this works very well with
little kids... or big kids for that matter.

Chuck Norcutt