[OM] Re: CF deals... and more on size and recovering from near disaster

Subject: [OM] Re: CF deals... and more on size and recovering from near disaster
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 04:23:31 +0100
Le mardi 19 Décembre 2006 04:04, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :

> Anyhow, that's my hypothesis and it seems to explain what happened. But
> its surprising if true since one of the major changes in the DOS file
> system going all the way back to IBM PC DOS 2.0 (or maybe 2.1) was to
> avoid reusing old, "empty" space if you didn't have to.  This was
> specifically to avoid the problem just described and make it easier to
> recover accidentally deleted files.  It tried to keep everything
> contiguous if it could allocate enough contiguos space to do so and also
> tried to use previously unallocated space if it could.

Errr... even with good ol' DOS, that is a terribly dangerous assumption to
make ; if memory serves well, the write DOS call had 3 modes to choose from,
and only one of them was "best fit", that is, find the smallest contiguous
area to write into. This happened to be the default, and generally put the
new file at the end of the volume before fragmenting. But you (programmer)
might as well choose "first fit", that is, fill any block you may encounter
until the file is written in the gaps of the disk. Or "last fit", to
voluntarily put the new file in a single block at the end of the volume.

In a word, never, ever, assume an allocation strategy. Check first.

--
Manuel Viet