[OM] Re: List etiquette for replies

Subject: [OM] Re: List etiquette for replies
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:40:21 -0800
Actually I think these discussions are an abomination. How many days
has this one been going now?

I have been on a list where it seems like this is a nearly perennial
topic. It is carried on by self appointed enforcers of either
persuasion burdening the bulk of the list members who don't care
about the issue at all with snide comments, sarcasm, aspersions on
their parentage and flaming. It is especially galling when the issue,
either way it is solved, provides little in the way of advantage or
inconvenience for anybody.  There may be arguments for either bottom
or top posting, but in the large view I think they are trivial except
to those who would happily flog someone for a missing button.
Probably, Mr. Howe had experienced a similar list and had been so
astounded that he thought it prudent to ask on any new list.

My suggestion is not to worry about form and listen to the person and
thoughts behind the message.  Adding rules for posting that make
little difference and which become a license for playing "gotcha"
just seems the wrong way to go. Reasonable trimming of the original
message and the amusing rants of the "apostrophe posse" excepted.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA