[OM] Re: Thin UV Filter

Subject: [OM] Re: Thin UV Filter
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:24:35 -0800
There is no reason for a UV filter as far as I can see.

1. Virtually all camera sensors filter out UV.

2. A front lens element is better protected by the lens hood than by
a filter which can be shattered and pushed into surface of the lens.
Sand storms and volcanic gases excepted, but then I would worry more
about the camera.

3. Many of us think that filters degrade the image to at least a
small degree. Gary Reese who used to be on the list did a comparison
test a few years ago that demonstrated that.  You still need to use
the lens hood to keep bright light off because filters are usually
only coated on one side and it is easy for ghosting caused by
multiple reflections between the shiny sensor filter and the back of
the filter.

My practice is to keep filters off unless they do something you can't
do some other way.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA