[OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:57:43 +0000
For hard disks, FAT32 supports drives up to 2 terabytes in size. If that
helps.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Arnab Banerjee" <arnab.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:14:41 +0530
>

>Chuck,
>
>Thanks for the very clear reply.
>
>Regards.
>Arnab.
>

>On 11/30/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The only practical barrier is between 2GB and 4GB.  Cameras that support
> > only the DOS FAT file system (FAT16) are limited to 2GB.  Cameras that
> > support FAT32 can, theoretically, address into the terrabytes.  I don't
> > recall the exact number (probably 512 x 2^32) but it's not important
> > since it's very much larger than any storage device you'll ever need on
> > a camera.
> >
> > You won't find a specification for maximum addressable memory but you
> > will often find a specification for FAT32 on dpreview.com if the camera
> > supports it or, as my 5D manual says: "compatible with microdrive and
> > 2GB or larger CF cards".  Most cameras released in the last couple of
> > years do support it... at least for cameras that take CF cards.  Secure
> > digital and XD cards have only recently broken through the 2GB barrier
> > so a randomly chosen camera using a non-CF technology may be less likely
> > to support FAT32.  I assume that consumer digitals that don't support
> > raw mode are also less likely to support FAT32.
> >
> > Chuck Norcutt
> >

> > Arnab Banerjee wrote:
> >
> > > I see 4GB memory cards in the market and 8GB cards being announced.
> > However
> > > when I see specifications for digital cameras, they do not specify the
> > max
> > > addressable memory (did I miss this?).
> > >
> > > Do they mention this detail anywhere? If not, how does one go about
> > finding
> > > it? Or is the limit high enough so as not to bother at present?
> > >

> > > As usual I thought that this is the best place to get a quick and
> > reliable
> > > answer.
> > >

> > > Thanks to all.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> > >
> > > Arnab.

> > > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

> > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!