[OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:13:05 -0500
The only practical barrier is between 2GB and 4GB.  Cameras that support
only the DOS FAT file system (FAT16) are limited to 2GB.  Cameras that
support FAT32 can, theoretically, address into the terrabytes.  I don't
recall the exact number (probably 512 x 2^32) but it's not important
since it's very much larger than any storage device you'll ever need on
a camera.

You won't find a specification for maximum addressable memory but you
will often find a specification for FAT32 on dpreview.com if the camera
supports it or, as my 5D manual says: "compatible with microdrive and
2GB or larger CF cards".  Most cameras released in the last couple of
years do support it... at least for cameras that take CF cards.  Secure
digital and XD cards have only recently broken through the 2GB barrier
so a randomly chosen camera using a non-CF technology may be less likely
to support FAT32.  I assume that consumer digitals that don't support
raw mode are also less likely to support FAT32.

Chuck Norcutt