[OM] Re: Computer image recognition

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer image recognition
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:42:53 -0400
It's a keen way to get us websters to train it. Hey, popfile works....

tOM

On Wednesday, November 29, 2006 at 5:25,
Manuel Viet <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mardi 28 Novembre 2006 20:06, tOM Trottier a écrit :
> > FYI,
> > 5. TEACHING COMPUTERS TO RECOGNIZE IMAGES
> > http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-11/ps-rtc110106.php
>
> Thank you for the link, it's been a long time since I hadn't laughed that
> much ; I tested a range of my personal images on the site, and the guesswork
> of the AI is about as good as a seer. Of course, with categories as broad as
> 'transports', 'sports', 'people', there's at least one match out of 15. I can
> do that much without even looking at a picture.
>
> I'm totaly unconvinced, but it's fun nonetheless. Makes me think aout AI
> pranks of the old times, like the fake psychanalyst and such. (comp : "Tell
> me about your problem" user : "I don't like eating soup" comp "tell me more
> about soup eating" etc... for hours).
>
> But somehow, I think someday there will be something out of it ; it's just
> that today technology can't cope with a single picture in less than 2
> seconds. We human beings need years of training, and we're able to see our
> samples in volume ; it's much easier to infer a flat projection from a know
> 3D sample than recognize an arbitrary matrix of points. The day we start
> traigning computers with 3D models, then we might get on something out of 2D
> pictures. But the amount of needed computing power is scary.
>
> --
> Manuel Viet
> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.41235 W75.71345     +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle