[OM] : Parcelforce is The Company from Hell... Are there any alternative

Subject: [OM] : Parcelforce is The Company from Hell... Are there any alternative
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:21:24 +1300
Christos wrote

> Hi All,
> Parcelforce is one of the worst companies that I know.
> They charge excessive and unjustifiable clearance fees on top of
> custom charges; they treat customers like idiots -by continuous
> patronising and arbitrary abuse of their powers; they are well known
> for missing parcels, delivering to nearby flats and addresses, even
> leaving things on the road, etc.

International couriers are the same in New Zealand. Fortunately, any parcel
or letter sent by Royal Mail (UK) USPS (USA) etc at a normal specified
speed will be delivered within NZ without added costs, and they add nothing
if there is a customs charge ( attracted only if the value is more than about
130 GBP or 300 US dollars - and also often missed). If there is a customs
charge, the customs people collect the fee.

However - if the parcel is sent in such a way that DHL, FEDEX, - you name it
international courier handles it, they run the parcel through the customs fee
attracting process even if the value does not require it, and charge a fee as
well for their administrative work - needed or not.  The resultant cost can be
more than the item is worth.

However, they all behave well as far as accurate delivery goes, as far as I
know.

I will NOT purchase any item if the seller insists on using a courier. Period.

I recently had experience of the amount of fee charged by UK Customs. As
some of you know, I sell CDROMs about ferns, all around the world.
Recently I slipped up and showed one to a conservation organisation in
London as being a commercial item valued at about 25 GBP.  The customs
fee as a result of that was £8.11    30% of the value !!

My client forgot to pay the fee and collect the CD, so it was returned to me.
That's how I know. And it took 4 months to get back to me cf the 10 days to
go over there.  Never mind; he got an updated version in the end.

The irony is, that if I e-mailed the data - about 8.25 MB, there'd be NO
customs fee attracted !!

Brian