[OM] Re: The Truth out digital camera's

Subject: [OM] Re: The Truth out digital camera's
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:34:04 -0800 (PST)
> Hmmm, it seems the reviewers at digitalcamerainfo.com might
> disagree with Mr Pogue:
>
> 10.2 megapixel D200 and the 12.8 megapixel EOS 5D, when
> observing 8 x 10-inch prints made from each camera â?? held
> roughly a foot away â?? the difference is clearly noticeable.
> The 5D produces sharper images with
> more observable detail, even at 8 x 10. The results obviously
> become more pronounced as the print size is increased."

Absolute bunk!  At 8x10, you will see absolutely NO observable
difference between a D200 and 5D when EQUIVELENT amounts of
corrective sharpening (to counteract the AA filter) are applied
to the files.

Another list-member and I did an experiment a few years ago
where he sent me two B&W 8x10 prints taken with a Mamiya-6 and
an OM camera.  Same scene, same picture, different cameras. The
only way I could identify which was which (If I remember they
were shot on TMAX 100) was the DoF being slightly different
between the two.  In the pictures, grain wasn't even visible
enough to differentiate.  Now, we're not even talking about
one-foot viewing distance, we're talking careful examination
with a loupe.  With the loupe I could figure out which was which
ONLY based on grain size.

Sharpness?  Both were identical.  Detail?  Both were identical.

At 8x10, these two digital prints from D200 and 5D will be
maximizing the resolution of the printer--hence even our eyes.
At one foot viewing distance?  Get real.  There is no way you'll
hand the advantage to one sensor over the other.

Optics?  That's another story.  What lenses were they using, how
was it shot, etc.  There are so many factors that go into
sharpness that based on the conclusion of this published test, I
reject their testing method. Absolutely no way that it would be
a runaway success towards the 5D.  If the test prints were A2 in
size, you *might* be able to see a differenc, but only slightly.

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com