[OM] Re: Adobe Lightroom and PS

Subject: [OM] Re: Adobe Lightroom and PS
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:38:53 -0500
Stephen Scharf wrote:

> Of course they want to make a profit....that is *whole point* of
> doing business.

Imagine if doing what one loved, the betterment of humankind and the
protection of the world that sustains us was the *whole point* of doing
business instead of profit... maybe prosperity would naturally follow.

> I also want AG to make a profit at his business, and small great
> companies like Markins and Really Right Stuff and even PixelGenius.

I would want Ken to be fulfilled, at peace with himself and prosperous
in what he does and for his customers to be content with the services
performed and in return, show loyalty and gratitude.

> But you do sound pretty cynical. As I've already pointed out, Adobe
> really does care about it's customers, unlike a lot of companies. And
> I've met a no. of their employees, and they are a great group of folks.
> In fact, I would like work there if I could get a job with them.

I am, as my wife and I have been burned many times by so called and
perceived "caring employers".  Been down the road with places of
employment where "we are all good folks... just like family here". My
wife and her family and my brothers and their families *are family*.  We
would live and die for each other.  Businesses are different animals...
from my experience, most large businesses live and die for a select few
and when push comes to shove, show little heartfelt, genuine concern for
their employees or customer base.  Maybe Ad*be is an exception though
I'm skeptical.

>> I still feel the Beta testers should be compensated for their time,
>> at least the ones who offered serious input.  A free version of the
>> final release would be nice in my opinion.

> Ain't gonna happen...they are in business to meet their customer's
> needs and make a profit as a result...same as small, great companies
> like Really Right Stuff.

If that's true, it's a pity.

Regards,
Richard L