[OM] Re: Introduction

Subject: [OM] Re: Introduction
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:06:48 -0800
Phil wrote:
> Hi Just a quick introduction, I was recommended her by one of the regulars.
> I am from Essex in the uk, have just aquired an E1 folloowing the demise of
> my E500

Welcome, Phil!
> Just looking to learn from people and make some new friends
>
> First question
>
> On looking to buy an OM adapter, the sales guys metioned that many of the OM
> lenses dont work fully on
> the E500, in that not all apertures work etc, can anyone give any more info.

I can't imagine why any OM mount lens wouldn't "work" on any E-thingie
using the adapter, in the simple sense of fitting and being capable of
taking a picture.

OM=> 4/3 adapters are available from many different sources, ranging
from about $20 to over $100. Since the adapter is only for mechanical
connection and has no moving parts, there is no reason for it to be
expensive.

 From the reported experience of list members, there are occasional
instances where non-Oly made lenses with OM mounts won't fit on one
adapter or another.

Now as to how they work, once attached to the body with an adapter,
focus and aperture setting is entirely manual, using the setting rings
on the lens. The thing your salesman may have been talking about is that
metering is not necessarily correct when using a MF lens on an
E-thingie. To meter, you need to set the aperture down to taking stop,
but even then, the meter will sometimes be incorrect. This is not just a
fault with Oly DSLRs, Canyon EOS DSLRs also have metering issues when
used with MF lenses on adapters, although they are different in detail.

What some folks have done is to make little tables of EV correction
needed at different apertures with their lenses. Others take the
approach of shooting, looking at the histogram, making correction and
trying again.

Moose