[OM] [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)

Subject: [OM] [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:21:39 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, swisspace wrote:

> However I think you will enjoy it much more as to me the
> quality of CD media  with all its anti copy stuff has in my opinion
> dropped, it would interesting to do a comparison now with a modern CD
> pressing against the vinyl  equivalent.

I haven't heard about anti copy stuff affecting the sound quality, but
there has been increasing talk about overcompression of commercial CD-s.
Unfortunately I can't find a very good and quite militant site I read on
this topic a few years ago, but there's tons of articles on the web. For
example,

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

IMO it's not necessary to get a very expensive player to listen to vinyls.
Each listening will slightly degrade the sound quality anyway. Just don't
get a cheap Sony (this is from first-hand experience). I've had a pair of
Gemini PT-1000-s (a very robust Technics SL-1200 knock-off, unfortunately
discontinued) for 6 years. They're currently equipped with Shure M44G
cartridges. This is not a hi-fi setup and would probably be an overkill
for home listening, but was cheap and the quality is good.

priit.