[OM] Introduction and OM-1 questions

Subject: [OM] Introduction and OM-1 questions
From: Melanie Chang <soloriver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:11:32 -0800
Hello all,

I'm a rangefinder user who recently got interested in OM SLRs because
of their excellent build quality and handling similarities to my
favorite camera, a Leica M3.  Unfortunately, I've had a bit of bad
luck with the OM bodies I've purchased and was wondering if anyone
might have some advice for me.

The first, a chrome OM-1 I found at a camera show for $25 (with
50/1.8 silvernose lens) suffered a jammed film advance/shutter about
halfway through the first roll.  It's extremely clean and in almost
perfect cosmetic condition.  I have attempted taking off the bottom
plate and repositioning the gears near the battery compartment, but
it didn't work (I may have been doing this incorrectly -- I am not
afraid to do mechanical things but I don't do them often).

Then I received a beautiful black OM-1n as a gift.  It appears to be
in perfect working order (and I just got the first roll back from
it), except that the frame counter does not work.  It remains set at
"E" even as you advance the film.  This is more an annoyance than
anything else but if there is any way to fix this I'd be much obliged
to hear about it.  I'll never be able to keep track of what frame I'm
on without the counter.

The third OM body I have is an OM-G (OM-20) I received essentially as
a freebie with a Vivitar 28-210mm macro zoom lens.  The camera show
seller considered it a rear cap for the lens and sold me the whole
shebang for $10 because, he said, "it isn't a very good camera."
Ironically this is the one body I have that is working flawlessly.
OK, it doesn't have the build quality of the OM-1 and the shutter
sounds a bit plastic and floppy, but hey, it takes pictures just fine
and the meter is bang on.

Shameless camera pr0n shots of my OMs are here:

http://www.pbase.com/miranc/image/70076095
http://www.pbase.com/miranc/image/70076094
http://www.pbase.com/miranc/image/70076379

And some shots from my first OM rolls are here:

http://www.pbase.com/miranc/image/69889518
http://www.pbase.com/miranc/image/69889520

I'm pretty smitten with these cameras (although I never thought I'd
say that about SLRs, I'll admit) and I'd love to get the OM-1 bodies
back in perfect running order.  They are so solid and beautifully
made and a pleasure to handle.

Thanks and nice to meet you, Melanie

--

Melanie Lee Chang, Ph.D. * mchang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx