[OM] Slouching toward something else...

Subject: [OM] Slouching toward something else...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:45:01 -0800

> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:22:43 -0800
> From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
>

> Just about everyone has made very sharp 100mm lenses. There are some
> very good 200mm lenses. A good 400mm costs a fortune and weighs a ton.
>
> At the moment for the 5D (don't know about N*kon) one can use a C*non
> 300/4 which is almost affordable and light enough to carry. The Tamron
> 400/4 should work very well on it. The faster longer C*non lenses cost
> a small fortune and along with the weight of the camera are too heavy.
>
> -jeff

True, they are expensive and heavy, but you might change your mind
about them once you have shot extensively with them. The image quality
from my 300/2.8 and 500/4 is something that must be seen first-
hand...they
are really impressive with their contrast, color and sharpness.

Witness this shot of Valentino Rossi at the Laguna Seca MotoGP...shot
handheld with my 300/2.8.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/redbullusgrandprix2006/Rossi.jpg

-Stephen.