[OM] Going digital (too)

Subject: [OM] Going digital (too)
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:57:55 +0000
Hi
I have decided to take the plunge and buy a digital SLR shortly. Not totally
abandoning film - I will keep at least one 35mm SLR. But the advantages of
digital are such that it would be a good decision to at least join digital -
and I need a digital SLR for a project I have in mind. Film wouldn't cut it
(unless polaroid or something improved vastly). The project requires
'instant' results - or as near instant as one can possible get. One
difference, for me, now is that I'm actualy looking forward to using digital
- not seeing it merely as a necessity. I've looked at 100s - if not 1000s -
of cameras recently online and in catalogues etc. and talked to lots of
people - all which convinces me that I must buy a brand new digital SLR from
a bona-fide shop. I've talked with photographers, technicians and salesmen
(boith of new and second-hand cameras). I've played with a couple of
digitals - and given my price point, I've decided to buy a brand new Nikon
D50. The D50 is "entry level" I know, but feature-wise it is close enough to
a D70 to make the addiional cost of the D70 unjustified (yes I know the D70
or D80 is probably more robust and hence maybe a better long term buy), but
I suspect I'll be upgrading to a better (pro class) camera in the near
future once I've mastered the D50. The D200 is too expensive for me (for a
first DSLR). I figured it'd end up being either a Nikon D50 or a Canon
300/350D to start with. I like the D50 and I've owned a few lower end Nikon
35mm SLRs so I know the D50 will be a perfectly functional SLR with some
missing niceties like a DOF preview button. But, until I master it, I'll use
it in conjunction with a film SLR for important shoots.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!