[OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:36:32 -0500
Yup, there's probably nothing better than SpinRite for getting data off
a disk.  I own a current copy and the original saved my butt a few times
in the early 80's when I was using it with DOS.

Never tried it on a CF card.  I suspect if I did that I'd have been able
to get the data related to the corrupted JPEG but it wouldn't likely
have been usable for anything even though SpinRite might have recovered
the pieces.

Not cheap at about $90 but very cheap if you need what it can do.  If
you tell it to it will spend hours doing thousands and thousands of
reads from the same bad sector all the while recording the data from
every read.  It then attempts to build a statistical distribution of the
bit values to reconstruct the real data.  It will also rewrite the bad
spot to strenghten it and try to recover the sector.  Fancy stuff but it
can run for days if you let it.

Chuck Norcutt