[OM] Re: 58mm lens hood for Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Subject: [OM] Re: 58mm lens hood for Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:57:39 -0500
Piers has kindly sent me two Tamron 58mm lens hoods for use on my
Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5.  The two hoods are the 84FH originally for
a Tamron 70-210 f/3.8-4 and a 29FH originally for a Tamron 80-210
f/3.8-4.  I haven't had a chance to actually test them for vignetting
but I'm sure they'll do fine.

I'm posting this info for any other owners of the 90/2.5 since I did
discover something a bit peculiar which had me perplexed for awhile.
When I first tried to screw then on to see how they fit I couldn't get
either one of them started onto the lens.  Wondering if the threads were
jimmied I tried screwing them into my one and only 58mm filter.  Both
slipped right in there as though made for each other.  A few more
unsuccessful tries on the lens had me perplexed again.

The answer is that the threads on the hoods are quite short while the
starting point for the threads on the Vivitar 90/2.5 is fairly deeply
recessed beyond a chamfer at the front.  As it is, the threads on the
Tamron 84FH (70-210 hood) are too short to reach in far enough to even
get securely started.  The threads on the Tamron 29FH (80-210 hood) are
long enough to make 1/2 turn.  When screwed into the filter, however,
the 84FH can make 2/3 turn and the 29FH can make slightly more than a
full turn.  The filter itself is capable of screwing into the lens 1-1/4
turns.

The net result is that that both hoods can be used OK if screwed into
the filter first or the 29FH hood can be used alone with a bit of care
in fitting it.

Chuck Norcutt