[OM] Re: 58mm lens hood for Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Subject: [OM] Re: 58mm lens hood for Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:38:58 -0400
As a T28 newbie, wonder if this technique will work to see if this  T28 is OK
on the Viv S1.  I have a wide open shot in process to double check.  The ID of
the ring is 49mm with threads for 55mm.  Have a step down ring 58mm to 55mm.
Seems a bit odd that Oly built the ring that way---perhaps they assumed most
shots are stopped down or the construction of the front of the 55mm macro
lenses is such that there is little or no impact.
The 11 mm differential seems to be pushing the envelope.  Perhaps someone has
tried this already

TIA,
Mike

The only home technique for dealing with this that I know of that
doesn't involve shooting lots of images* is to project from the film
plane through the lens. I put the camera with lens and hood attached on
its back on a light table. Then I lay a translucent screen of some kind
across the hood. With my light source and a dark room, all I need is a
piece of white paper.

Then I can zoom, focus and change the aperture while observing the
projected form of the film opening to see if it hits the hood. It's
worked for me so far. With a cheap rubber tele hood, if it vignettes,
you can just cut it down.

Moose

* A viable option with ditgital, where it wasn't for me with film, but
still more trouble that the projection technique.
AOL Mail and more.