[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:50:32 -0700
I completely overlooked what should have been obvious ... your 28-300
Tamron. My thoughts were of a mostly single vendor kit, either N*kon
or C*non.

The quibbles could be important if numbers are being compared. I would
probably carry my E300 rather than the E1 unless I expected to be out
in the rain for a LONG time. But my reaction was more first hand than
numbers.

I had just carried my 5D down into the Haleakula crater and back out.
My E-System would not have been as much work. The most noticeable
difference isn't just the weight of the backpack but also the weight
of the tripod mounted camera with a lens carried in one hand ready to
use. The 5D with the 50-250 OM Zuiko mounted is within what I'm
comfortable carrying but if it were a 1DSII or a C*non L lens, it
surely wouldn't be.

I agree that the newer plastic bodied lenses can make a big difference
in weight. If Olympus keeps high optical quality for their blue line
lenses, an E4xx may well become a "successor" to the OM. Weight and
size could probably beat anything that could be done with a 5D.

We definitely approach fun and games with photography from different
viewpoints. I enjoy using a tripod and generally don't take pictures
of moving objects. Getting quality at least equal to 35mm Velvia is
very important to me. I haven't even considered putting together a set
of fixed focal length digital lenses. I've been looking for one or
maybe two zooms which would have better image quality than the 5D. The
24-105/4 L lens apparently doesn't achieve that at the long end.
Depending on what happens with the next E-System announcement, I will
be buying either an E-System body or an EOS lens such as the 24-105/4
(I believe I saw someone switching over to the 24-105 from a C*non
28-1xx because they thought the image qualitiy was better, but of
course before the $ fly out of my hands that would be revisited).

-jeff

numerous snips