[OM] Re: NEW RAW PROCESSING SOFTWARE - SIMPLY AWESOME !!!

Subject: [OM] Re: NEW RAW PROCESSING SOFTWARE - SIMPLY AWESOME !!!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:34:00 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> I have been using SILKYPIX for over a year, I like the color (very close to
> Olympus Viewer) and highlight recoverable ability (not exist in Olympus
> RAW). It is also simple and portable.
>
> On the other hand I never found any software that can provide better
> resolution. All visual differences are due to sharpness effect and it can be
> achieved with proper unsharp mask.
I'm glad to hear you say this. I've been biting my tongue because I
don't have personal experience with ORF files, but it has seemed to me
that what you say must be true. It is certainly true for Canyon RAW files.

There is no way any software can add detail that isn't in the RAW file.
What it can do is make adjustments at the pixel level to enhance
contrast at detail boundaries so the detail that is in the file is
rendered more clearly visible to the human eye.

When trying to compare the resolution of various cameras, lenses and
software, ignoring the need to deal with differences in sharpness
settings can lead to erroneous conclusions.

Moose