[OM] Re: ZD 50mm f/2

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 50mm f/2
From: "David Irisarri" <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:28:41 +0200
Are you sure????

Please have a look to this ;-)

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2422/lens-test-olympus-zuiko-digital-50mm-f2-af-macro-specifications-page2.html

CONCLUSION: A medium telephoto macro lens in the mold of the famous film-era
90mm f/2 Zuiko macro-which it resembles optically and in price-this lens
performs extremely strongly. It's well-suited to low-light work,
portraiture, and, of course, close-ups. Plus, it's the lightest f/2 true
macro we've ever seen.

Gary Reese´s tests, in spite of being an outstanding and superb work,  never
were made using any MTF or analytical instruments for measuring resolution
and contrast.

DPREVIEW ANALYTICAL RESULTS!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page19.asp
Olympus ED 14 - 54 mm F2.8 - F3.5 (28 - 108 mm equiv.)
The ED 14 - 54 mm is the E-1's "Kit Lens" and is basically twice the price
of the EZ 14 - 45, and to be honest while it's a faster lens it doesn't
really produce very much in the way of sharpness. Obviously it's going to
have other improved attributes (distortion, contrast, flare etc.) but this
comparison does help to demonstrate how good the 14 - 45 is.

Olympus ED 50 mm F2.0 Macro
The optimum 'test lens', a sharp fast prime lens the 50 mm F2.0 Macro was an
obvious choice for us when comparing Four Thirds digital cameras to other
D-SLR's. As you can see from the results below it's amazingly sharp even
wide open (F2.0) and maintains fairly good resolution through to F14. We
found it's optimum sharpness to be around F5.6 / F6.3.

NOW PHOTOZONE!!!

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/olympus_50_2/index.htm

The Olympus Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2 macro may be the only macro lens
available for four-thirds at the moment but its performance is near
flawless. Optically the lens is basically beyond criticism with a peak
performance that betters the 8 mega pixel sensor of the E-300. Mechanically
it suffers a little from the conventional AF motor as well the focus
extension system although the principal quality of the construction is very
high. Highly recommended!

Something very important to take into account is that old lenses were
analysed using 10 lines/mm and 30 lines/mm but never 20 lines/mm for
contrast and 60 lines/mm for resolution. IMHO there is no way comparing OM
lenses to new ZD lenses. Let´s see how OM lenses perform with 10-15 Mpixel
E-X cameras.

Kind reagards,

Dave