[OM] Re: LX-2 redux - new dpreview of the LX-2

Subject: [OM] Re: LX-2 redux - new dpreview of the LX-2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:36:37 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The more I read about Panasonic's noise problems the more I wonder if
> the Olympus/Panasonic tie is the reason we haven't seen an E-3.

The Leica/Panasonic and Oly/Panasonic ties really seem to be odd, out of
balance, couples. Oly and Leica, although different in many ways, are
both quirky, inward looking and long time camera & lens makers with real
commitments to image quality.

Panny is a mass market purveyor of consumer goods that has only
recently, with the movement of photography into the electronics arena,
moved into photographic manufacture. Their strengths are in matching
features to markets and moving masses of product. They generally move
fast enough, much of it in changing models in markets where stuff
becomes obsolete in function or style before it stops working. My sense
is that their engineering focus is on "good enough" and "reliable enough".

Either their engineers just haven't figured out how to make low noise
sensors, or the cost/benefit of putting them in the products aren't
right for their business model.

The interesting thing is that Sony is a lot like Panny as a conmpany and
their own sensors are noisier in their own cameras than in those of
others who buy sensors from them.

Moose