[OM] Re: How far would you go to get the shot?

Subject: [OM] Re: How far would you go to get the shot?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:47:07 +0200
Le jeudi 12 Octobre 2006 03:08, VS a écrit :
> In the message I received, "James N. McBride" writes:
>
> James,
>
> >This file contains a very nasty virus called Trojan.Ducky.B.  Thanks.
> > /jmac
>
> I apologise sincerely if the site I sent a link to tried to load
> someting untoward on your computer. I visited it both with Firefox and
> Opera and nothing suspect happened (my A/V didn't budge).

There happen to be false positives, too (I didn't looked at the picture you
pointed to and deleted the url, so I can't check this one especially). And I
know a jpeg that would hard crash many IE6 flavours without being a virus,
and which wouldn't induce a move in any A/V. The file just happened to
corrupt something in the jpeg decoder of windows, while otherwise legit. I
kept it real close to my chest, as generaly a remote crash is a real highway
toward making a functional malware. Maybe the jpeg dll is better now, but I
won't take a chance.

I'm surprised that such an old virus would have remained for so long in plain
sight without having been taken down. But, hey, I received a month ago a
variant of Snow White and the 7 dwarves, so everything's possible ! [This
virus, while old and mostly eradicated, has been one of the scariest I looked
at. Hopefully, the programer wasn't  /completely/ a bad guy, so vey few harm
was caused, but the potential of this virus - secured plugin capability to
change its behaviour in the wild, for instance - might have been devastating
in /real/ bad hands].

--
Manuel Viet