[OM] Re: Question about EV compensation of flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Question about EV compensation of flash
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
I have not been following this thread so I may be repeating other people's
comments here.

The F280 in super FP mode conceptually works exactly like an old FP flash bulb.
So the OM4 works
with it exacly as it does with any other continuous light source like a
hotlight for example.

The best detailed technical desscription of how it works is in the OM4Ti
service manual
supplement.

The exposure is made ttl off the film and just includes the "continuous" ligt
from the flash with
the continuous light from the scene. That is, the camera starts the flash
running just before the
first shutter curtain gets released. At that time the ttl light integration
starts and the
combined light off the shutter curtain and film is then integrated until
correct exposure is
achieved, at which time the second shutter is released. The flash continues
flashing until after
the second curtain closes so frame is evenly exposed. The flashing frequency is
adjusted as the
voltage on the flash capacitor drops to give approximately even illumination.
The ev compensation
dial still works just as it would in normal ttl operation but obviously now it
does not change the
relative amount of light from flash and scene, as it would with regular flash.

Tim Hughes