[OM] Re: Totaly off topic

Subject: [OM] Re: Totaly off topic
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:38:56 -0700
Geilfuss Charles wrote:
>       I'm with your Father-in-law on this one. During my Pathology
> Residency, we would come into the hospital on Sunday mornings to "gross
> in" surgical specimens that had accumulated over the weekend. Most
> consisted of things removed from a "hot" abdomen i.e. appendices,
> gallbladders, perforated bowel, etc. On one particular Sunday, mixed in
> with the usual small things, was a "His & Her" pair of legs
> traumatically amputated mid-thigh. Tufts of grass and dirt clung to the
> broken femoral shafts. Seems the couple and their cycle had a rendezvous
> with a power pole guy wire at a high rate of speed. By some miracle they
> both survived the accident. Prior to this I had ridden on the back of a
> cycle a few times, but after this never again.
>
> Charlie (apologizing in advance for too much information)

I agree that it can be gruesome, but it's not just motorcycles that provide
all that mayhem.
I have spent some years in emergency rooms and as a surgical nurse associated
with those activities. I guarantee you that bodily mayhem occurs in all manner
of accidents, not just motorcycles. Cars, trucks, tractors, other farm
machinery, and on down the line.
If you want to avoid all manner of terrible accidents, you either learn how to
avoid them or don't take part in life.

Or, oddly enough, exercise the brain you have, by leaning how to safely
operate the equipment you have, by not taking chances, by avoiding quick but
ill-advised thrills.
By far, the worst kind of accidents are caused by the people involved in the
accident.

It's not the motorcycle's problem, Charlie.

That you need to be extra cautious when operating a two-wheeled vehicle, for
many reasons that's true. But the problem is man-made. The unfairly maligned
bike didn't do a damn thing... Its an inanimate object.
It was the inept operator that screwed up.
Sometimes that means he didn't see a problem coming. True.
But for the largest part, it could have been avoided if the operator was fully
awake and 100% attentive and in control.

In some ways it's a shame there's no equivalent to the Federal Aviation
Association, that thoroughly investigates and reports on all
machinery/operator accidents.
A very large part of the time it will come down to "pilot error."
But ordinarily we don't have the benefit of that sort of analysis.

So, being human, we sadly blame everything and everybody but ourselves...

keith whaley