[OM] Re: resolving power and medium format lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: resolving power and medium format lenses
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:23:40 -0700
Not a direct match to your comments but an interesting alternate path...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Mamiya_ZD_Second.shtml

Notice the size of the C*non 35mm dslr compared to the Mamiya ZD
camera. The ZD has a 22MP 48x36 sensor with fairly large pixels.

The most direct quote for the no. of pixels is
"The new 39 Megapixels digital backs (from Capture One and Hasselblad,
based on a Kodak CCD sensor) have pixels of 6.8 microns, very similar
to many DSRL cameras."

So if a lens with the resolving power of a full frame dslr is put in
front of this 39MP back, the per inch resolution would be equal but
you would have more inches.

There's quite a bit of talk about number of pixels and why MF. Nothing
really as attention catching as the picture of the two cameras IMO.

-jeff

On 10/6/06, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I just decided to check what's going on in the MF digital arena and
> see that Phase One has a 39 MP back which is 49.1 x 36.8 mm or just a
> bit more than twice the size of a 35mm frame.  When you work this out it
> gives an equivalent density of about 18MP for a full size 35mm frame or
> a bit more than the current Canon pro level cameras at 16MP.

snip