[OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4

Subject: [OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 07:21:23 -0400
And when shooting a field of wildflowers at f/16 there will be no need
to check DOF.  In fact, if you're out shooting your test 50/1.4's in
sunny 16 conditions you won't even need to focus more than once.  Just
set the lens at f/16 and focus once at the hyperfocal distance of 30
feet.  That will get you everything from 15 feet to infinity in focus
sharp enough for a good 8x10 from the E-500.  If you need more light use
f/11 and focus at 45 feet.  If you need f/8 focus at 60 feet.  It will
give you a super high quality point & shoot with no automation required.
   Leave focus and aperture set and fire away.  :-)

ps:  Note the doubling of the hyperfocal distance when opening up 2
stops.  When using these older primes with DOF scales you can use the
DOF marks on the lenses to set the hyperfocal distance.  But if you use
these scales on the E-500 you need to double the distance on the scale
since the E-500 will require double the resolution over 35mm film.

To use the DOF scale on the lens to set the hyperfocal distance:
Set the infinity mark to the correct aperture mark on the right hand
side of the DOF scale.  On the 50mm you'll see that if you set the
infinity mark at the right side f/16 mark the focus will end up set at
the 5 meter mark.  That's OK for an 8x10 from 35mm.  For the E-500 the
requirement is more stringent since the image will have to be magnified
twice as much to make an 8x10.  So, for the E-500, simply double the
distance.  Set it according to the 35mm requirement, note that the focus
is at 5 meters and then double the focus distance to 10 meters.  You'll
then have sharp focus covering everything from half of the focus
distance to infinity.

Chuck Norcutt