[OM] Re: Tokina/Kiron/Zuiko 28mm test, was: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina/Kiron/Zuiko 28mm test, was: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:25:31 -0400
This discussion of adapter precision got me to thinking about my own two
adapters so I went off to measure them.  I was surprised by your comment
about the Martin Cheung adapter since that's the first adapter I bought
some time ago for about $100 (when prices were much higher than today)

My lenses fit on the Martin Cheung adapter about the same as they would
fit on an OM body.  Once the lens clicks into place there is a little
rotational play of about 1/4 to 1/2mm but no other motion.  My other
adapter is too tight.  Once the lens has locked into place there is zero
motion.  While all of the Zuikos fit it's so tight fitting that 3 of my
non-Zuiko lenses won't fit.  The ears on their bayonet mounts are just
the slightest amount too thick to even get started.  I have to reserve
the Cheung adapter to be able to use those lenses.  One of them is the
90/2.5 Vivitar macro.

I just measured the flange thickness of both adapters at 6 points around
each.  Nominally, they should measure 2.00 mm since the EOS register
distance is 44.00 mm and the OM register distance is 46.00 mm.

The Cheung adapter measures 2.01 mm +/- 0.01.  The other adapter
measures 1.95 mm +/- 0.01.  Take my tolerances with a grain of salt
since I don't know that I can actually measure that precisely with my
digital calipers.  I have to translate the difference in flange
thickness between these two to inches to mentally comprehend it. 0.05 mm
is approximately 0.002 inches.  Two thousandths is a fairly large
discrepancy from a machining standpoint but I don't know whether it
translates into anything meaningful from a focusing standpoint;
especially considering that the error is on the shorter side making the
lens focus very slightly past infinity.

But these differences are all trivial in comparison with the adapters
pictured at the link below.  The ones pictured below have such a
discrepancy that the difference between them is quite visible with the
eye.  It looks like it might be as much as 1-2 mm.  Yes, whole
millimeters, not hundredths of millimeters.  That has to be quite
deliberate but I don't know why.

Chuck Norcutt