[OM] Re: Olympus 11-22mm / f2.8-3.5 digital zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus 11-22mm / f2.8-3.5 digital zoom
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:14:37 -0400

John Hudson wrote:

> Chuck:
>
> Thanks. I will see what I can do.
>
> It is nevertheless unfortunate that a seemingly good quality lens has
> such a severe defect and that reliance has to be placed on outside
> fixes.

Not terribyl uncommon, especially in wide angle lenses.  But the fix is
easy, especially with PTLens.  PTLens can be fed a batch of images and
it will read the EXIF data to find the lens used, lookup the lens'
correction factors in its database and automagically apply them.  Not
bad for $15.

> Although the barrel distortion is most evident on the horizon I have
> to assume that this optical distortion is present across the entire
> image. If this is the case and if one was to enlarge just a small
> portion of the digital image the barrel distortion would / could be
> noticeably evident on what should be straight lines..

I couldn't see much wrong with the little image below.  After putting a
grid over it about all I can see is that it appears to be tilted down to
the right a couple of degrees.  If there's other distortion it's small
enough that it's lost to me in the fading line between sky and horizon.