[OM] Re: Dating OM equipment was: 'Cheap-o Zuiko? Or Leitz?

Subject: [OM] Re: Dating OM equipment was: 'Cheap-o Zuiko? Or Leitz?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:29:50 +0100
Keith, there is no definite correlation between serial number and production
date, more especially with bodies than lenses (since the baseplates can be
switched) but even with lenses, the front rings bearing the s/n can be
switched around.

For later OM production the manufacturing date is marked as a
four/five-character white code usually on the rear of the lens, or in the
film chamber on the body.  The first two characters indicate the assembly
plant, the last two/three the production year and month.  The year code
starts with A=1981 (I think, reflecting the start of assembly at the new
Tatsuno plant).

At http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/1999-02/msg00417.html , John
Hermanson provided this worked example: "TNE5 = Factory "TN", E = 5, 1985, 5
+ fifth month, May.  May 1985."

A later thread starts here
http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2000-09/msg00983.html

It appears that a further refinement was added to the code, the extra
one/two digits (Day of assembly?) in  some of the examples I have available
- but I don't own all of them :(

TNNC 21 OM-3Ti made in December 1994
TNO1 12 OM-3Ti made in January 1995
TNF54 OM-3 made in May 1986
TNF82 OM-4Ti made in August 1986
SUEA3 OM-PC made in October 1985
TNF4 50/2 made in April 1986
TNK3 50/1.2 made in March 1991
TNI2 24/3.5 made in February 1989
TNG8 100/2.8 made in August 1987

But I have several lenses which do not have any visible code (including my
50/1.4 which is an early s/n 223xxx)

Earlier production M-1, OM-1 and OM-2 bodies had slightly different date
codes, which are each documented on Mark's M-1 information page
http://olympus.dementia.org/M-1/ , and in the OM-FAQ
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html at B21

--
Piers