[OM] Re: E-400 on dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 on dpreview
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:59:00 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Depends if the "old" one is 16 or 32 bit.  I think the renaming was
> coincident with the change to 32 bit but don't know that for sure.

That's what my research showed as well. I wish I remembered the rough
date of the change, but all recent portables should support the 32 bit
cardbus interface and tests show that they are the fastest readers for
CF cards.
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Jez Cunningham wrote:
>
>> I know that there was some sort of renaming and possibly a spec change from
>> PCMCIA to Cardbus, but for a CF card the adaptor is just a set of wires, no
>> electronics, n'est-ce pas?  So replacing my old PCMCIA CF adaptor with a
>> Cardbus version can't speed anything up can it?

I don't remember the details, but tests show the cardbus adapters to be
a great deal faster than regular old PCMCIA and even faster than
Firewire readers. Also a lot more expensive. I decided the actual
difference in download time wasn't worth it.

Moose