[OM] Re: whibal & film scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: whibal & film scanning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:40:44 -0700
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A naive question. I've seen a couple videos of the WhiBal workflow and
> wonder if it would work with negative film scanning without the need of
> scanner/film profiling or the it8 sheet ?

Doesn't seem naive to me. A reasonable question. It should also be
fairly easy to answer, as the IT8 target has a full 22 step gray scale
on it in addition to the color patches. So it shouldn't be hard to do a
test comparing a scan with icc profile vs. one without the profile and
with WB set from the gray patches. VueScan has a function to do that as
part of the scan, too.

I've been a little curious about this question myself. In the case of
digital (except perhaps the Foveon chip), the sensors for the different
colors are quite linear and are identical and respond differently to
colors only because of the filters in front of them, so balancing based
on pretty much any level of gray should give the same result.

With film, the different layers for different colors are not identical
and are not linear, so WB based on one brightness of gray could still
leave WB wrong at another brightness level. That's undoubtedly why the
IT8 target has lots of different color patch squares over a broad range
of brightness. My suspicion is that balance to a neutral gray midtone
will work well for anything but very critical applications.

I'll try to do a simple test in the next few days.

Moose