[OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:43:13 +0100
I'm with Walt - his examples are well chosen to be precise, and as usual
straight to the point with a twinkle in his eye - can't do better, but I can
try this high-risk approach:

"later" = "senare"
but
"latter" = "[det] andra [förslag]"
and "former" (the opposite of "latter") = "[det] första [förslag]".

Conceivably, "latter" could also mean "[det] sista [av många förslag]".

And then there is "latterly" = "nufötiden" in contrast to "long ago" =
"länge sedan"

High-risk?  We have plenty of opportunities to pick on non-native users of
English - time to give them a chance to get their own back :-)

--
Piers