[OM] Re: Published!

Subject: [OM] Re: Published!
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 12:13:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mostly" <mostly5@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 09:27

> Christos,
>
> This is my opinion, and only that.
>
> I don't believe it's what you actually say that ignites the ire of some of
> us on the list, but the way you say it.  There is something in your tone
> and/or phrasing that I interpret as condescending and edging closer to a
> holier-than-thou feeling than I care to allow anyone to take with me
> regardless of the veracity of what they're saying.

What you are describing here is a problem I know all too well.  It is
sometimes hard for us, who don't have English as our first language, to
understand and realize the subtle or underlying meaning the "natives" have
of their spoken or written language.  Some of us tend to use sentence
structure and perhaps phrases which are quite normal in our language, but
are offending in another language.  If you  have seen "Falling Down" and
remember the scene where Douglas goes into that Korean shop early in the
movie, you know what I am referring to, there the tone is the obvious
problem (Asian languages all sound as you are being yelled at).

Then there is the universal problem of knowing what the other person really
means when you can't see his (ok hers too) face, and thus don't know if he
is as serious as the words just by them selves might imply.

Just my 2c.