[OM] Re: 4/3rds site

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3rds site
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:40:39 +0800
On 30/08/06, Jeff Keller <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Loyalty has to flow both ways.

Yes you're right. I have no trouble agreeing with you here, Jeff. Please do
understand that Olympus was in crisis mode for the past number of years.
They're trying to reidentify themselves. Many of our engineers - including
me - were very disheartened once the OM System was retired. Everyone was
sad, downcast and in abject low morale. It was the worst time I have ever
seen all of us in. I kid you not. We were all totally shattered and then the
new directive came. OM engineers were to be disassembled and sent to work on
different project groups. This might sound good but we're talking about
DIGITAL COMPACT project groups. That was pretty much the deathknell for
engineers who gleaned our reputation with pride in the OM System and to get
them to then work on "lowly" cameras wasn't easy to take but the company was
in a rudderless state of affairs at that time.
I cannot apologise enough to all of you who feel that we seem very coy and
withdrawn and not willing to discuss much about the E-3. I know how all of
you must be feeling because I do have feelings myself about all these. One
day I'll write my memoirs and I'll tell all :)

But for the moment, I just want you to know that Olympus does care about how
you feel and think. That might sound ridiculous for a corporation to do but
we do have a heart. The inception of the VisionAge project is just one
example of how we have a big heart and an equally big pair of ears to
listen.

There was an earlier interview where some
> Olympus people expressed doubts that a small camera would be  ***
> considered
> professional ***. I was attracted to the OM 30 years ago because of its
> size. Olympus isn't going to make a better C*non, nor better N*kon, nor do
> they have to. They can offer a better alternative camera for many buyers
> Yes Olympus Imaging is perhaps completely at the mercy of its creativity.

For your information, the OM-30 was a truly forgettable experience for many
of us at R&D....we were humiliated by it even if we had originally thought
it great. Reliability issues positively killed it. The OM-40 Program was the
redemptive turnaround point.

I doubt that there is much competition between full frame sensors and
> fourthirds. The competition is between APS and fourthirds. I bought into
> the
> E-System because of the 11-22 Zuiko (and contentment with OMs). The 7-14
> Zuiko has kept me satisfied with my decision to spend money on the
> E-System
> cameras.

Olympus wouldn't want to hear you say that....
There is no competition between APS or APS-C with Four-Thirds.

C*non got quite a bit of my money because they offer a somewhat affordable

--
Khen Lim
XIOS Network Solutions