[OM] Re: 4/3rds site

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3rds site
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:58:26 -0700
Loyalty has to flow both ways. There was an earlier interview where some
Olympus people expressed doubts that a small camera would be  *** considered
professional ***. I was attracted to the OM 30 years ago because of its
size. Olympus isn't going to make a better C*non, nor better N*kon, nor do
they have to. They can offer a better alternative camera for many buyers ...
Yes Olympus Imaging is perhaps completely at the mercy of its creativity.

I doubt that there is much competition between full frame sensors and
fourthirds. The competition is between APS and fourthirds. I bought into the
E-System because of the 11-22 Zuiko (and contentment with OMs). The 7-14
Zuiko has kept me satisfied with my decision to spend money on the E-System
cameras.

C*non got quite a bit of my money because they offer a somewhat affordable
full frame sensor that I can mount my Zuikos to. They will probably continue
to get money from me as long as they offer this choice.

I've bought at least a half dozen Olympus digital cameras because of the OM.
Momentum has surely helped Olympus Imaging. Perhaps inertia and fear of
breaking away from perceptions the market leaders build is hurting Olympus
Imaging.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>

We have a brand new camera but we must do what best
we can to make sure it's as perfect as our customers expect us to make them.
We accept now that there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. Safe for the
rarest around (such as those in this List), many can skip and hop away.
We also realise that what customers/loyalists/fans know about what they
want, we have already proven in 1972 that we can show things that change
their mind about what they think they know. We have the brio to do this but
we have to safeguard ourselves first. The cat is great but it's not the time
to let it out of the bag yet.

a) Olympus Imaging Corp (not Olympus Corp or Olympus Group) is a very small
unit
b) We haven't been making money - how could we when we don't have the
inertia
c) We have admittedly made some mistakes in the past - - - marketing
mistakes mind you, not technical mistakes
d) We can only get things right first and once - - - we cannot afford to
make continual mistakes - - - film is more forgiving than digital in this
respect
e) Our REAL assets is our Creativity. We know that now. We have to safeguard
it.