[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:51:53 +0800
Jeff

The OM-X was a prototype with no real hope of making it. It was Maitani's
development mule for ideas to visualise and test out. Although Maitani-san
attributed the conceptualisation of the OM System to what you could see in
the OM-X, the real genesis is the PEN System. Virtually all his ideas were
ported over to full-frame from the PEN System. While the ideas behind the
OM-X were very laudable, there was no clear path to get it off the ground.
The board then was in a hurry to release a post-FTL 35mm SLR and Maitani-san
brought out some of the ideas from the OM-X and gratfted it into what we now
know as the M-1 and later the OM-1.

On 30/08/06, Jeff Keller <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There were some comments and a picture of an OM-X
> http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/om_interview_2.html
>
> Hopefully Kehn will add more details...
>
> -jeff
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Wow. Never heard of an OM-5. Do you know what it was?
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA
>

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:25 PM, khen lim wrote:
>
> > Maitani's
> > suggestion for the OM-5 did not pass the mustard with the board. We
> > were all
> > very disappointed. For better or worse, the loss of the OM-5 changed
> > directions for the entire company, prompting Maitani to eventually
> > retire.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Khen Lim