[OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice
From: "Steve Dropkin" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:52:33 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, August 24, 2006 9:20 am, Ralf Loi wrote:

> For the amplifier I search a good one with some 50W rms per channel, and
> for the cd player I search something that preferably don't have problems
> with light scrathes on the cd - mine currently have while the cd of the
> computer don't.
> I usually listen both classical music and rock.

It would help us to have an idea of what you think is a reasonable amount
of money to spend on this. 300 Euros? 500? 1000? We can always tell you
that whatever amount you have in mind is not nearly enough :-)  It's
possible to spend thousands of Euros on just one power amplifier (times
two for stereo). Also, do you have any plans to listen to either movies or
some of the newer multiple-channel formats like SACD or DVD-A? And since
you say "amplifier", do you not want to listen to radio at all through
this system?

Brands with which I have had good success now and in the past are
Harman/Kardon and Onkyo. If you have more to spend, you could look at
Rotel, or Sony's ES line (not so much their regular line), or NAD (though
NAD sometimes suffers some quality problems). If you're comfortable buying
over the Internet on the recommendation of customers, Outlaw Audio (
http://www.outlawaudio.com ) may be worth considering (the few people I
know with Outlaw equipment like it very much).

Have fun shopping! I would love to buy some new audio equipment, but I
have camera equipment I want to buy! :-)

Steve