[OM] Re: new models?

Subject: [OM] Re: new models?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:01:00 -0400
I don't see how.  The way digital image stabilization works is to allow
the image to float across the surface of a sensor somewhat larger than
the image area and capture the image area wherever it happens to be.
How you tell where the image is supposed to be I haven't a clue.  Maybe
accelerometers?

Next has to do with the sensitivity of the sensor.  As the image is
skittering across the sensor surface eventually the shutter button is
hit and it's time to capture.  Is the sensor fast enough to do that?

Let's use some hypothetical numbers.  Assume a 9.3 MP E-3 sensor with
2700 x 3600 pixels.  (nice round numbers, I just made it up).  Using the
14-54 lens at 54 mm the image covers 19.1 degrees horizontally.  If the
camera is rocking horizontally at a rate of 10 degrees/second (another
number I just made up... but it seem reasonable) then the image is
skittering across the sensor at a rate of (10/19.1) x 3600 = 1884
pixels/second or 1.884 pixels per millisecond.  Does this mean that
stabilization only works at very high shutter speeds?  Seems that that
problem has already been solved by none other than high shutter speeds.

What's wrong with this picture and my calculations?

Chuck Norcutt