[OM] Re: RRS landscape/portrait rotation + flash bracket

Subject: [OM] Re: RRS landscape/portrait rotation + flash bracket
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:41:43 -0400
Interesting thing that one. Having gotten heavily in with the RRS modular
system concept this is a toy I was wondering if they would make. I have
found my own solution that is a little bit cheaper in the mean time. I am
using a Justrite rotator from their flash bracket. It is very similar to the
Custom Brackets designs and just allows for a 90 rotation not the full
circle that the RRS unit does.

The rotator I have is an older one that has a plain no lip top plate that
camera attaches to (handy that RRS put a screw hole in the bottom of their
plates for when you don't have a QR clamp). The current models are custom to
selected camera models like the RRS plates. Justrite use Manfrotto QR clamps
and plates and I am in the process of exchanging them out for RRS plates and
clamps. I plan to replace the crew down top plate with a clamp to make it
totally modular. The Justrite came with Pent*x outfit I recently purchased.
I scored a 645N, 45mm, 55mm, 135mm LS, Q flash T2, 2x Quantum Turbos, the
Justrite frame and a load of cables & film for $1150.

In my collection of RRS stuff I also have the partial ring "Portrait
Perfect" flash bracket. When I get the time I plan to do some comparison
shots between it and the Justrite frame. There is a significant weight
difference between the two and I would like to see if the lower height that
the RRS lifts the flash to makes much of a difference.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jeff!

Dan S.