[OM] Re: RRS landscape/portrait rotation + flash bracket

Subject: [OM] Re: RRS landscape/portrait rotation + flash bracket
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:19:39 -0700
All the Kirks I have bought have had the 1/4 x 20 hole in the plate.
But you are right generally they are of similar quality. What I have
liked about the Kirks is that sometimes they fit a little better. For
instance when I looked for a plate for my D100, the RRR plate had a
flat face to the front, handy for the logo,  and it was machined out
behind it to fit the compound curve of the body. Kirk went the extra
step of machining the front to match the curve as well. Elegant and
unobtrusive. Another time I was looking for a plate, I don't remember
what it was for now, and the RRR plate surface for the camera was
flat with just the screw and a single lip to hold it in place and the
Kirk had a lip on each edge cradling the camera body. Another time I
looked for something for a Coolpix. Kirk had it and RRR did not. Hey
those bridge cameras needed a tripod too. Course this was all with
the original owner and not the new one. Things change. But if you
look at the L plate for a Nikon D2X, the Kirk one fits closer to the
camera and looks to be more comfortable to grab onto.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA