[OM] Re: lazy iris diaphragm

Subject: [OM] Re: lazy iris diaphragm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:58:32 -0700
michael.kennedy@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I knew the day would come, and it has. My Zuiko 50mm f1.8 is getting
> old....the iris diaphragm is slowing up; taking about a second to fully open
> from f1.8.  Solutions: exercise it like crazy; bin and replace it (only to
> find the same problem months down the line); there's a magic cure I don't
> know about?? I would hate to get rid of the lens; it is mint in all other
> respects and isn't used for 'quick fire' photography. Also, they're cheap
> and easy to come by, but I like to wear my 'environmental' hat. And the
> consensus of opinion among the group is....?

What Wayne, Chuck and Daniel have to say is all useful.

My experience with a number of these beasties is that none of the five
SC ones have have had this problem, but the early ones aren't very sharp
either. Three of the four "MC" marked ones I've had and one of the lower
lowest serial number miJs had slow diaphragms and the other MC had
gritty focus with no signs of abuse, sand, etc. So of the four miJ
lenses with serial numbers between 3,500,000 and 3,675,000 I've had, one
had a slow diaphragm. The one I've kept, 5,814,xxx, is still perfect.

So if I were buying another one, I'd go first for a miJ over serial 4
million or an F.ZUIKO over 500,000. I would not get one marked MC.

A more detailed description of cleaning a 50/1.8 is on Mark's site
<http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/50mm_cleaning.html>. I've cleaned
two, one stayed snappy, the other started to slow down again.

Moose